December 6, 2013
A Weblog by Bradley Cain
Technology & Pop Culture is your geeky guide to gadgets, new media and all things digital. We scrape The Tubes daily and funnel it into something decidedly delicious. Just for you.
Have a tip? Send it along to and we'll make it happen.
The Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas has come and gone. Here are my picks for the best of this year’s emerging technologies.
Panasonic’s 150″ Plasma TV. Nuff said.
Mitsubishi’s Laser TV. Three colored lasers generate the DLP picture on these TVs.
Current Old school DLP TVs need a bright white lamp and a color wheel to achieve the same effect. And unlike traditional DLP the lasers shut off entirely when displaying blacks — yielding insane contrast ratio and black levels. All this plus you get twice the color spectrum of current HDTVs and 3D picture capability.
LG’s Watch Phone. Phone calls, text messaging and Bluetooth on your wrist. Calling Dick Tracy…
Casio’s 60 Frames Per Second Digital Camera.This 6 megapixel digital wonder can snap 60 pictures in one second flat! In movie mode you get 1,200 frames per second — which is how big Hollywood creates super slow motion video.
Ion Audio’s LP to CD Ripper. Have a bunch of vinyl, CDRs and free time? Archive without a computer.
Belkin’s Podcast Studio. This little beauty sports a built in speaker, mic, two XLR inputs and a 1/4 incher. Plug in your iPod and record anytime, anywhere. Self-contained and wonderful all running off of two AAA batteries for two hours.
Azentek’s Atlas In-Dash PC. As is driving isn’t enough of a distraction. Windows Vista, Dual Core, 1 Gig RAM, 120 Gig Hard Drive, DVD/CD Burner, FM tuner and satellite radio. Done and done.
Yoggie’s Firestick Pico USB Firewall. Everyone needs a firewall. This makes the process brainless and easy for everyone.
Alienware’s Curved DLP Monitor. Woah!
Belkin’s FlyWire Wireless HD Transmitter/Receiver. Send up to 6 full HD 1080p signals across the living room to your HDTV. Look ma, no wires!
Gizmodo’s TV-B-Gone Infrared Prank. My favorite part of CES this year was not a new piece of technology at all but a prank that technology blog Gizmodo pulled. It pissed a lot of people off and they are banned from CES in the future but it’s oh-so-entertaining. Watch this video!
- Skateboarding At 120 FPS In 2K Resolution
- Google Announces Android and the Open Handset Alliance
- Dot Matrix Printers Film Latest Radiohead Video
- Behind The Scenes Of NIN
- Cell Swapper Helps You Screw Your Mobile Provider
- Marriage Equality
- OFFICIAL: Google Fiber Coming To Kansas City, Missouri
- Google Cr-48 Unboxing
- Custom Background Images Now Live On Your Google Homepage
- 22 Minutes Of The Technology Behind Avatar = Geekgasm
- Google Nexus One Unboxing
- 1986 Worlds Of Fun Theme Park Map Takes Me Back
- Blatant Mockery Productions Present: “GLOW” (NSFW)
- A 90 Second Look At The Fringe Season Two Premiere Tomorrow On Fox!
- Google’s Unexplained UFO Theme Continues With Latest Doodle